Platform Welcome Tutorial
PaaS provides a short overview presentation on the platform features and capabilities with a quick interactive tutorial on the first application deployment. This guide is automatically started on the very first login to the dashboard or can be manually run via the Help > Tutorial menu. It is mainly aimed at the platform newcomers, giving them the first steps to start exploring the platform functionality.
Below, we’ll consider topics:
Brief Tutorial Overview
The detailed overview on the user experience with Platform Welcome Tutorial is described in the appropriate document.
1. The tutorial starts with a short introductory presentation (four slides):
- The Benefits of PaaS - shows the platform’s main features and advantages (with customizable links to the documentation)
- Build Your Application Topology - explains how an application topology can be configured
- Tune Your Resource Consumption - demonstrates how to provide resources for the instances and view their estimated cost
- Enjoy Pricing Advantages - shows benefits of the platform usage-based pricing comparing to other cloud vendors' models
2. The second part of the tutorial is an interactive guide, which leads over a few simple steps required to create the first environment and deploy an application.
If needed, the platform has an option to disable automatic tutorial start on the user’s first login to the dashboard.
1. Access JCA panel and navigate to the System Settings > User Interface section. Use the Search field to locate the TUTORIAL_ENABLED setting.
Here, you can Edit the default value (applied for all users with default language) or Add a new one for some specific user group/language.
2. For example, by assuming that billing users are already familiar with the platform, you can add a setting to disable automatic tutorial start for them.
The welcome presentation can be slightly adjusted to match your platform’s branding (e.g. change logo, links, or texts). Let’s consider these options one-by-one.
1. Company logo for the tutorial can be provided via the HOSTER_LOGO_TUTORIAL parameter in the JCA > System Settings section. Locate the setting via the Search field and double-click to Edit it.
Within the opened frame, provide a link to the logo image (the recommended size is 106x25 px) and confirm the changes and click on Apply at the top tools pane to save them.
2. The first presentation slide of the tutorial contains a list of the main platform’s advantages. Clicking on any of the points redirects to the corresponding feature documentation.
You can substitute the default links to the platform documentation pages with your custom ones (e.g. placed at your website). Open the corresponding System Settings > Links Settings section in JCA and adjust the required parameters:
|Text Displayed in Tutorial||Links Settings Parameter||Default Value|
|Zero code change deploy of applications||DOCS_ZERO_CODE_CHANGES||https://jelastic.com/blog/zero-code-change-deploy-without-vendor-lock-in/|
|Automatic horizontal and vertical scaling||DOCS_VERTICAL_SCALING||https://www.virtuozzo.com/application-platform-docs/automatic-vertical-scaling|
|High availability and smart load balancing||DOCS_SMART_LOAD_BALANCING||https://jelastic.com/load-balancing|
|Pay-as-you-use cloud pricing model||DOCS_PAY_AS_USE_MODEL||https://jelastic.com/pay-as-you-use-cloud-pricing|
|Docker and Kubernetes hosting support||DOCS_DOCKER_KUBERNETES||https://jelastic.com/kubernetes-hosting|
|Multi-region distribution of workloads||DOCS_MULTI_REGION||https://www.virtuozzo.com/application-platform-docs/environment-regions|
|Marketplace with applications and add-ons||DOCS_MARKETPLACE||https://www.virtuozzo.com/application-platform-docs/marketplace|
|Account collaboration with different access levels||DOCS_COLLABORATION||https://www.virtuozzo.com/application-platform-docs/account-collaboration|
|Intuitive UI, SSH access, CLI and open API||DOCS_DASHBOARD_GUIDE||https://www.virtuozzo.com/application-platform-docs/dashboard-guide|
Do not forget to Apply changes after the performed adjustments.
3. If needed, you can implement localization of the tutorial texts.