Virtuozzo Hybrid Server 7.5 Update 3: Smart Auto-Updates for Storage Clusters
We’ve just released the new version of Virtuozzo Hybrid Server (VHS), our fast, efficient platform for hosting service providers
The new version, VHS 7.5 Update 3, automatically monitors and updates your storage cluster nodes to ensure maximum stability for your hosting infrastructure, and to save time manually deploying patches and updates.
It also includes many smaller usability and stability improvements.
As always, we build new features based on feedback from our partners and customers. Check out the highlights below, along with links to the full release notes, how to upgrade, or how to get started if you’re new to VHS.
Smart automatic update of storage cluster nodes
The enhanced smart auto-update feature in VHS 7.5 Update 3 is available for Virtuozzo Hybrid Server nodes, ReadyKernel patches and VzLinux RPM packages, both standalone and in Virtuozzo Storage clusters.
It intelligently monitors the state of your nodes, including storage cluster nodes, and makes sure the latest security, feature and performance updates are deployed to your VHS environment automatically. It will also stop the roll-out of updates if it detects failures.
This new feature is designed to:
- Increase infrastructure stability and protection: the latest security updates are properly deployed within the shortest timeframes
- Speed up delivery of new features and improvements: your customers always have the best functionality available
- Decrease maintenance efforts for system administrators: updates and fixes are deployed automatically, making your hosting platform easier and more cost-effective to manage
To enable smart automatic updates you need to add Virtuozzo Hybrid Server nodes to a highly available Kubernetes cluster, and create a specialized manager entity to update the nodes according to a predefined set of rules.
The system looks for available updates as soon as smart updates have been enabled, and then checks regularly every 24 hours. If the update policy permits, any changes it detects are installed on each node, in sequence, starting from the node that is most out of date. Virtuozzo Storage node updates will only be installed if the storage cluster status is HEALTHY.
For more details, see our documentation for smart automatic update of nodes.
Full release notes
In addition to smart updates for nodes in Virtuozzo Storage clusters, Virtuozzo Hybrid Server 7.5 Update 3 includes:
- Copy and paste functionality for a virtual machine’s VNC console
- The ability to check a container’s filesystem from the host
- The ability to change a virtual machine’s VNC port on-the-fly
- Updated Virtuozzo Storage packages, to the latest version
- Optimized memory usage while creating backups. Now backups bypass system cache to avoid pollution from rarely used data, and potential slow-downs of the node
For all new features, improvements and fixes in VHS 7.5 Update 3, see our Release Notes documentation.
How to upgrade
It’s easy to upgrade to Virtuozzo Hybrid Server 7.5 Update 3:
- Install the update with ‘yum update’
- Reboot the host and switch to the new kernel
New to Virtuozzo Hybrid Server?
Virtuozzo Hybrid Server makes VPS & shared hosting easy, with VMs, containers and software-defined storage in one fast, easy-to-manage platform.